Saturday, June 4, 2011

Cleaning Up My GMail

For the past week, GMail has been sending me warnings that my 7.59GB allocation is almost full. It was suggesting that I pay for additional storage already. I'm sure there are lots of junks in my GMail that requires pruning but manually going through them seems too tedious. I've been using GMail since 2004 so there is quite a lot of email to go through.

I did some research and came across this site -- FindBigMail. Using OAuth, it basically requests your permission to go through your GMail and label-tagging all your large mail with attachments (ie. more than 2MB; more than 500KB; more than 100KB; etc.). Then by choosing the appropriate label, you can quickly see which useless email are hogging all the storage.

After the labels have been posted, I did a quick scan of my large email and deleted the useless ones. I'm now back down to 69% consumption. :) This is pretty addictive though. I will go through some more cleaning up later.

No comments: