Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My New Samsung Galaxy S Smartphone

I've been using my new Samung Galaxy S smartphone for a couple of days now and have the ff. comments:


  1. I don't really miss my old, trusty Nokia 6680. True, typing an SMS using the virtual qwerty keyboard takes a lot of getting used to. Its pretty hard to type an SMS while driving using this interface unlike the old Nokia keypad. The predictive dictionary is a big help.

  2. The phone seems to be a battery hog especially if Wi-Fi is enabled. I just left it on overnight and it was dead when I woke up in the morning. When not in use, disabling Wi-Fi seem to extend the life quite a bit. But unlike my old Nokia 6680 which can go 2 to 3 days without charging, I find myself charging the Galaxy S at least once a day.

  3. On the bright side, the Galaxy S uses a standard USB port for its power adapter. That means you can connect it to a regular PC's USB port using the provided cable to charge it. No need to connect direct to a power outlet.

  4. The unit has hanged a couple of times on me while running some apps. When it hangs, you really have to remove the battery to get it to reboot.

  5. The thin form factor still takes getting used to on my palm.

  6. The mobile signal bar seems to be low most of the time. I don't recall seeing it at full bar. Could it be that Samsung's reference for signal strength is more stringent than Nokia's?

The Galaxy S runs on Adroid 2.2 (Froyo). Not surprisingly, integration with Google Accounts is fantastic. The Calendar app syncs with Google Calendar. The GTask app from the Android Market syncs with my GMail Task. The contacts list also syncs (unnecessarily) with the GMail contacts database.

I must say that the switch to a smartphone is worth it. Its not just a phone but a full entertainment console and productivity tool all-in-one.

No comments: