Sunday, November 27, 2011

Cheap Fiber Optic Cable

The Samsung Blu-Ray player that came with our new Samsung U55D6600WP TV did not come anymore with a coaxial audio port.  It only has an optical audio port at the back.  I was not aware that my really old Yamaha receiver actually had optical ports all these years.  The old Philips player was just connected to it via coaxial audio.  But after tinkering with the back panel of the Yamaha a bit, I noticed that the optical port was just covered.  D'oh!

I previously shopped for an optical cable at Shangri-La Mall where the audio/video shops there were selling them for like P1,500 or more.  Since we were at SM Marikina this afternoon, I tried going to Ace Hardware.  Lo-and-behold, they have China-made ones for a measly P250.  Digital data is digital data no matter how thick or how well-insulated a fiber optic cable is.  So I plunked in my hard-earned P250 and bought the low-end cables.

When I got home, I tried it and it worked perfectly fine!  Granted that I am not really an audiophile and that my hearing is not that sensitive to distinguish a cheap cable from an expensive one.  But the sounds are good enough for my regular movies.  'Nuff said.

No comments: