Monday, December 5, 2011

Audiobooks

I've never really understood before why people listen to audiobooks.  Are they visually challenged?  Are they just plain too lazy to read?  Well, as things turned out, I'm now an audiobook convert!

Yes, I found it to be the perfect cure for boredom during the long commute to work and going back home.  I easily spend between 2.5 hrs to 3 hrs a day driving to and from work.  Since it would be impossible to read a book while wading through traffic, listening through an audiobook on my Samsung Galaxy S makes the time just zoom by.

My first audiobook attempt was Stephen King's Cell (sometimes referred to as Pulse) read by Campbell Scott.  Unfortunately, my download seem to have gotten truncated at Chapter 7.  So I was left a bit hanging.  In the meantime, I switched to Steve Jobs official Biography by Walter Isaacson.  I've read iCon before, but "reading" (or "listening") to this one felt very fresh.  It was like listening to Steve's amazing life story for the first time.  Its just astounding how much of what we know about personal computing and user interface today originated from him.

As strange as it may sound, I now actually sort of look forward to the daily commute to catch up on my reading.  The only downside is you can only go at the pace of the reader, unlike a book where you can skim certain paragraphs or read at a faster pace.

No comments: