Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Changing My Personal Firewall Software

I've been running off Comodo Firewall Pro for the past week. I've finally given up on my free ZoneAlarm personal firewall. Its been giving the strangest errors the past couple of months. It would also just reboot my Windows XP for no apparent reason every now and then.

Searching through Google, there seems to be a documented problem between ZoneAlarm's TrueVector service and Windows XP. Sometimes, I would just get an annoying error dialog box. Other times, its the reboot. But a couple of weeks ago, all my network-based apps would just stop working if ZoneAlarm is running.

Since I shifted to Comodo Firewall Pro, I haven't had any problem so far. The interface looks simple and clean. Truth be told, I haven't really gone in that much to the advanced mode and tweak it further. I just let it run in "training" mode, although it can get very annoying initially because it will keep asking you to allow/deny certain actions.

Comodo Firewall Pro is completely free as far as I can tell. I can't tell what their business model is. It doesn't seem to prompt me to upgrade to a paid version unlike Zonelabs.

No comments: