Friday, January 21, 2011

What's Going On?

There's a school along Annapolis Greenhills called Fountain International School. Its right across Atlanta Center (which is more popularly known as the building where Nida Blanca was killed). I've passed this school a few times in the past couple of weeks and there is a banner outside that has been bothering me.

The huge sign across their wall says: "ENROLLMENT IS ON GOING". Is it just me or does it look grammatically incorrect? As far as I know, "ongoing" is one word and not two.

Normally, I would not make a big fuss out of a wrong grammar in a signage as that is very common in the Philippines. But this is a school for crying out old! This is a place where children are supposed to learn good English. If the school administrators and principals who enter that school every day do not even find their own signage strange, there is something very wrong with the English standard of that school. Parents beware!

No comments: