Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Knowing

We watched Nicholas Cage's Knowing at the home theater tonight. My sister-in-law was telling us last night that she did not like the ending of the movie. So that kinda made us more curious as to how it ends.

The story is set in Lexington, Massachusetts. That brought back some memories of my 2-year stay in Wellesley, which is pretty close to Lexington. In fact, I used to attend church with my classmate Clement, at a Chinese church in Lexington. But aside from the sweeping view of the MIT campus, the rest of the movie was actually shot in Australia.

The movie is about the visions of a grade school girl of disasters that will happen -- complete with the exact date, location (in longitude + latitude coordinates) and the number of deaths. If I did not know any better, I would have assumed that it was an M. Night Shyamalan movie. The plot and topic is very typical of Shyamalan's stories.

In a lot of ways, the movie reminded me a lot of The Happening. And just like that movie, the ending is a bit too fantastic and anti-climactic. From a suspense/thriller/horror-type of movie, it suddenly shifted into full-blown science fiction with alients and spaceships. But, at least, I liked the way they imagined the spaceships. It was not your typical flying saucer with lights. And for once, Nicholas Cage's character died in a movie he starred in!

No comments: