Sunday, July 26, 2009

Rearranging Cells in Excel from Horizontal to Vertical

I'm doing some spreadsheet work in preparation for our BIR Letter of Authority 2008. I have to transfer a range of cells from one spreadsheet to another. There is just one slight problem. The cells in my source worksheet are arranged horizontally, but I need to transfer it into the destination worksheet in vertical layout. Manually rearranging it from horizontal to vertical is not an option as there are numerous cells that I need to transfer.

Have no fear -- Google is here (with the answers). The key is in the "Transpose" option. I've never noticed it, or perhaps I did but did not care what it was for, but it holds the solution to the problem. From the source worksheet, just mark the range to copy and hit Ctrl-C (Edit >> Copy). Then go to the destination spreadsheet and choose Edit >> Paste Special >> tick the 'Transpose' checkbox. That's all there is to it!

No comments: