Monday, July 19, 2010

Installed my first SSL Certificate

I bought an SSL certificate from GoDaddy last week for use with Dragonpay's online payment service. To validate your ownership of the domain, GoDaddy requires that you create some CNAME entries on your DNS Server. They call this "Domain Control Validation". Since I registered my dragonpay.ph with DotPH, I just used their web-based DNS management system. The interface is a bit crude, but it gets the job done.

Next, I just followed the step-by-step instruction from GoDaddy for generating a certificate with Windows 2003's IIS. You enter basic information about the company and create a 1024-bit certificate. You copy-and-paste the value onto GoDaddy web-based SSL Certificate Management page; select which OS certificate you want; and they generate 2 downloadable files for you -- an intermediate certificate (*.p7b) and the web certificate (*.crt). After installing both, my API site is now running in secure https mode.

No comments: